Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A quick one (GE2011)

Assalamualaikum,
It's morning right now. I'm in the bus interchange and I realised that I lacked 2 blog posts for this month. I guess I'll start with the General Elections 2011. Well, as usual PAP won a vast majority of the seats, but just barely. They got their so-called mandate by winning about 60% of the votes. However, this elections was a reason to rejoice because one opposition party managed to win a GRC. Clearly, right now I'm pro-opposition, Workers' Party in particular. But this is not completely uncalled for.

Many of my politically apathetic teenage peers have asked me,"If its not broken, why change it? Just vote for the PAP." The problem is, it is broken. The PAP has been increasingly arrogant and do not really put the needs of Singaporeans as a priority. The have Singapore's best interest. Unfortunately, in this modern day and age, Singapore and Singaporeans have slowly grown to be two separate entities. The government has been made to be completely dependent on the PAP, by the PAP. All they care about is increasing our GDP and economy. Well, GDP doesn't necessarily mean local-produced/earned revenue. They've been hiring LOADS of foreigners to take Singaporean jobs. Nobody seems to care about extremely high HDB prices or the fact that ministers earn in 2 hours what normal people earn in a month. Actually, we do. The 40%, whom I greatly respect because of their courageous attitude for standing against an oppressing government, cares about Singaporeans. Unfortunately, because of the remaining 60%, 100% of Singaporeans (I mean 51% of Singaporeans (locals)) have to suffer with you.

All in all, I believe that uninterrupted rule and control, corrupts. As the old adage goes:"Power corrupts, absolute power, corrupts absolutely." More opposition needs to be in parliament and allow for healthy debate of policies and bills; to ensure Singaporeans' needs are placed first.
Thank you.

Salam..peace!
P.s. I have A Maths exams today! Extremely nervous!

No comments: