Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A New Kid

Hello there everyone. In case you didn't know, I have transferred to Victoria School a couple of days after being in Irsyad. I am just going to write about my first few days of learning in Victoria School. I missed the first two days of schooling but I began in the middle of the third day.

I bought my books and uniform on that day and after changing into them, I was introduced to my new classmates. "Another new kid?" one of them asked. They were in the middle of Literature Class studying Macbeth, by William Shakespeare, and also about the Globe Theater in London.

I was assigned to a couple of buddies, Bharat and Matthew, who taught me a lot about the school. Such as the rules, locations of certain classrooms, students and their "opinions" of the teachers, which, personally, I don't really care about. They shouldn't be too quick to judge a teacher.

Anyway, recess was, to me, the highlight of the day. Being a Muslim, I have to be careful of what I put in my mouth, halal only. There were 10 stalls, an I didn't know which was halal and which wasn't. So I picked a stall with a malay owner, which I immediately assumed was halal. I bought some curry puffs and went to one of the many seats that were provided. Then I heard,"Aziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz!!" from an unknown source. I turned around and saw Bharat. He asked me what I've bought. I showed him. At first he thought that it wasn't halal. Then I showed him the stall from which I bought the puffs from. False alarm. Allowed to eat. How nice of him to make sure I don't eat any pork.

The day went by like a normal, partially boring schoolday, and at the end of the day, we were dismissed. Many left almost as soon as the bell rang. Others stayed back for CCA. Some just took their time packing up. Me? Looking as confident as I can but completely lost. I packed my bag and just followed the group of students who were heading home. Finally found my way to the main gate. I walked quite a distance to the bus stop and rode Bus Number 13 home (a direct bus).

In the bus, I thought about my day. Thinking of what I have learnt. For the past 8 years I have been in Madrasah, surrounded by Malay muslims. Now I am learning to make friends of different races and religion. Go Racial Harmony! Haha..

Salam...Peace..[(:P)<-<

No comments: